Support for People with Limited English Proficiency
More than 25 million people in the United States have limited proficiency in the English language. While many of these people use English at work and in their daily lives, understanding what happens in a courtroom can be more difficult. Many others have less facility with English and are lost in telling their story – whether inside the courtroom or speaking with court clerks – without the support of a trained and qualified interpreter and without translation of official court documents.
- Select ‘Top’ (or ‘Bottom’) 5, 10 or 25 states (i.e., the states with the highest (lowest) justice index) by choosing the drop-down filter and the sliding scale at the top right corner of the visualization. To reset the filter, slide the sliding scale back to 50.
- Filter by Region by checking one or more Region checkboxes near the map.
- To focus on one (or more) states on the map, click and drag the cursor around the states of interest. Zoom in or out using the ‘+’ or ‘-‘ icons respectively on the top left corner of the map. Reset the map by clicking on the blue colored thumb tack on the top left corner of the map. To un-select states, click on an area of the map outside of the states.
- The horizontal bars to the right of the map can be filtered by clicking on a single bar or clicking and dragging to select multiple states. To sort the chart, click the sort icon that appears when the cursor hovers near the x-axis of the bar-chart. To reset the chart, click on an area of the chart outside of the bars.
- Select one or more states in the ‘Index Distribution (Scaled to 100)’ chart by clicking on one or more diamonds. To reset the chart, click on an area of the chart outside the diamonds.
- Filter the ‘bubble chart’ by clicking on a ‘bubble’ or clicking and dragging to select multiple ‘bubbles’. The chart can also be filtered by clicking on the small squares that represent regions. To reset, click on an area of the chart outside the ‘bubbles’.
- To filter by question, determine the question number from the first column of the ‘Response details’ chart and select it from the question number drop-down. Click the desired response check boxes for response(s) of interest. To reset, click on the (All) response check box.